Category: Business

St. Paul Businesses Destroyed

St. Paul Businesses Destroyed

On Saturday night, two St. Paul businesses got destroyed by a fire. Clean Cuts Barber Shop and Avenue Grocery shared a building which caught on fire, and now the two businesses are destroyed as a result. There was also an apartment upstairs which was home to two people but they were not home at the time of the fire. Nobody got injured, […]

Read more ›
Schwan’s Home Delivery Sold to South Korea Company for $1.8 Billion

Schwan’s Home Delivery Sold to South Korea Company for $1.8 Billion

(BLOOMINGTON,MINN)UTVS- The deep-rooted Minnesota food distributor, Schwan’s Co, was bought by South Korea’s largest food company. The company known for home deliveries was bought by CJ Cheiljedang for $1.8 billion dollars. Cheiljedang will hold 80% stake in Schwan’s and will control all businesses that serve restaurants, grocery stores and other retailers. The other 20% of the stake will remain with […]

Read more ›
Former Minnesota Superintendent Accused of Embezzlement

Former Minnesota Superintendent Accused of Embezzlement

  MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA – A federal count of bribery has been added to charges against a former Minnesota superintendent who has been accused of embezzling public funds. Prosecutors say the former Shakopee schools chief, Rod Thompson, used his position of authority to solicit a construction company to embezzle money. Additionally, authorities say Thompson embezzled more than $70,000 from the district […]

Read more ›
50 Lowe’s Stores Set to Close

50 Lowe’s Stores Set to Close

Home improvement store, Lowe’s, is closing over 50 stores in the United States and Canada. The company says the stores they are closing have poor profits, but the employees of these stores will be offered jobs, similar to what they have now, at nearby locations. In Connecticut alone, there are 17 stores being closed, the Orange Lowe’s at 48 Boston […]

Read more ›
Google Walk Out

Google Walk Out

Hundreds of Google employees will participate in a “walk out” Thursday morning in protest of the company’s management of high ranking executives accused of sexual misconduct. This comes only one week after a New York Times story explained allegations regarding sexual misconduct against Google’s software creator, Andy Rubin. This is only the latest installment of backlash against female exploitation in […]

Read more ›
E-pulltabs finding success in Minnesota

E-pulltabs finding success in Minnesota

In 2012, Minnesota attempted to pay for the billion-dollar Vikings stadium by launching e-pulltabs, which are tablet-based games. However, lawmakers found it very unrealistic, and they were right; Minnesota couldn’t generate more than a trickle of sales from e-pullouts. However, they are starting to have success within the state. E-pullouts make $35 million a month in Minnesota alone, and are […]

Read more ›

Credit Union Charity

Saint Cloud Federal Credit Union, along with Sartell High School has received the Simon Hellermann Philanthropy award. The award was created in 1999 to honor credit unions who are committed to assisting their local communities and well as contributing to a humanitarian cause. Saint Cloud Federal Credit Union received the honor after partnering with Sartell High School to provide financial […]

Read more ›
St. Cloud State’s New President Canidates Announced

St. Cloud State’s New President Canidates Announced

The search for St. Cloud State University’s new president has been narrowed to the final four. Brian Johnson, Daniel Shipp, Dione Somerville, and Robbyn Wacker are the current candidates. The candidates will be visiting campus between April 24 to 27 to meet the community. Brian Johnson has worked for several universities over the last decade including acting as the president of […]

Read more ›
Toy Recycling

Toy Recycling

Have you ever thought about recycling your old toys? Hasbro, a toy company finally did. Hasbro said if the program strives that they wont stay limited to the U.S. and open up worldwide. TerraCycle a recycling company has partnered with the toy company to take the donated toys and recycle them into things like park benches, playgrounds and many other things. […]

Read more ›
Legislation May Cap Tipped Wages Below New Minneapolis Minimum

Legislation May Cap Tipped Wages Below New Minneapolis Minimum

As wages rise due to laws passed in Minneapolis, lawmakers in the state Legislature are considering a bill that would cap tipped wages lower than standard. Republicans in the House have proposed that as the minimum wage increases to $15 an hour by 2022 in Minneapolis (and potentially in St. Paul pending legislation) that tipped wages should be capped at […]

Read more ›